The World According to Linda

Linda MacDonald-Lewis (A.K.A. The Bard at Large) - A true Scot at heart

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Hello from Edinburgh

I finally figured out how to reach my blog dashboard to post a blog for all of you.
I sit here now in my guest house on Mayfield Gardens, about one mile (though most say it's farther) from the Royal Mile.

The Gathering was last weekend and it was both brilliant and at times a bit frustrating.
130 Clan Assoc. had their tents set-up on the field at Holyrood Park. Surprisingly I never saw the Clan Wallace and ran into many from America, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand of that ilk that were in pursuit of the Clan Wallace tent, feeling very frustrated that they could not locate them. When I came across those souls I recited my Eulogy For William Wallace to lighten their attitude, in doing so ... I now have a stack of business cards with a note on the back to send a copy of the poem to them.

My book launch in Stirling at the Smith Art Gallery and Museum was a grand success. I was able to meet up with some old friends like David R. Ross, (author, performer and the historian of the Society of William Wallace), and Lin Anderson (also an author).
Dr.Elspeth King (curator of the Smith) had arranged for a local Piper R. MacDonald to pipe everyone in and he joined in the Lecture Hall with the rest of the ranks. Bruce Crawford MSP along with Mr O'Brien (former Provost for Stirling) were there to introduce me and the book.
Tea and biscuits were served before the event and lunch followed where I was able to have a long chat with friends and associates.

My brother Jeff and his daughter Tara had (after some difficulty) come into Edinburgh on the 24th 5 hours late because of a problem in Philly with US AIR. (frankly everyone that I know who has ever flown with this airline has had one problem or another). Luckily KLM came to their rescue and gave them a free ticket to reach their required flight to Amsterdam in order to reach their destination of Scotland... better late than never ... and their bags were with them as well.

I was able to meet-up with and enjoy some time with those that had come in from the Northwest to attend the Gathering and most now are in the Highlands with their prospective Clans having their tours.

I also have met up with my good friend and Piper of high acclaim, ....Jimi (the Piper) McRae. On the Monday following the Gathering Jimi came by the Guest house and gathered me up (along with his son Brodie ... who is growing like a weed and nearly as tall as Jimi now). Off we went to Arthur's Seat to trek up the hillside in the Commemoration to the Mutiny of the MacRaes in the 1700's. After we piled back into the car and headed north to the Battlefield of Sheriffmuir.
What a day it was!!!!! Blessed with sunny weather as well...which I could use a little of just now as the rain is teeming down as I type this.

I have 2 more days here at this guest house before going to stay with a friend in the Pentland Hills (just below Edinburgh).
So friends off I go and I will give you another report and story of my adventures on my return to America.

I trust everyone is enjoying their Summer.

All the Best,
Linda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home