The World According to Linda

Linda MacDonald-Lewis (A.K.A. The Bard at Large) - A true Scot at heart

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Celtic Designs and the meaning of them

I will try to answer one of the most asked question in my shop.

"Can you tell me of a book or website that has a list of the Celtic Designs and what they each mean?"

Unfortunately, I don't have a site. Nor do I know of one, that is correctly done.

Most of the info on the Internet is not 'spot-on' when it comes to the meaning or what things are traditionally called. People tend to make-it-up-as-they-go-along, instead of putting the time and effort into the study of the realm.

I've had people come into the shop and say, "Do you have a Celtic design that is for sisterhood ?" I respond "Well, THAT (sisterhood) would not have been an issue!"
I mean...think about it...these designs are thousands of years old. Sisterhood ???
Sounds like a 20th century thing to me! Survival, protection, direction, the stars, moon and sun, migration of herds, the hunt for food, harvest,and pro-creation, ....yep, ...those would have been issues.

All Celtic or any other ancient cultures'(for that matter) have created designs that depict the cultural beliefs of the people in that realm or race. In the case of the Celts these beliefs changed from Pagan to Christian, but, the designs stayed the same, bringing more confusion to the matter.

I've been studying the Celtic Race of people and their beliefs and arts for many decades now....and have accumulated a lot of knowledge. But there are things that myself and others still don't have a clue on, like the 'Pictish designs' from Scotland. Still I have found those that have "made-up" meanings for them...funny thing that; when the experts back in Scotland don't know. Much of the knowledge of the race of people called the Picts has disappeared from our knowing, because they became "one with the Scots", and the influence of their culture was woven in with the beliefs and practices of the Scots.

Jewellry designers and sellers know that the public will purchase more if there's a story that can be attached to the items, so they attach a story that they think sounds "cool" ....
and thus ...their income is secured,...and public is confused by the misinformation.

On the other hand many things have not been lost to us because of the constance of the presence in daily life, ...like the Claddaugh and Brigit's Cross of Ireland or the beastie images of the Book of Kells, and many other things.

When you make a purchase of Celtic or Norse designed jewellry or other artistic items in my shop, be assured that I have used my knowledge to first ...buy the correct images that are traditional and true, and second ....will and do tell you what the image represents (if I have that knowledge of it, I mean...I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything, but then again...I do know a heck of a lot).
I urge people to write these things down and have paper and pens available at the counter for that purpose.
I also won't and never have, written these things down for people myself unless the person is older and needs the help.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Linda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home